Wednesday, December 28, 2011

New Years Resolutions


Every year we look forward to the new year as a fresh start; a new beginning.  We reflect on the year that has passed and we typically complain about how horrible the last 12 months have been for us.  

Well I'm gonna brag for a minute, because I had a fantastic year...

I went to Mexico and swam with dolphins.
I moved back into my own place.
I got a new car, and then another new car.
I re-joined the gym.
I lost 30 lbs.
I now have a paid-off mortgage loan reflected on my credit report.
I got to see my best friend and goddaughter, even tho only for a couple days.
I reconnected with old friends.
I got licensed to teach Zumba.
I've made countless new friends.
I started making cakes again, thanks to someone special in my life.
I had a t-shirt designed for my business, courtesy of Magic Seven Clothing.
I bought a 1981 Schwinn road bike.
I got TWO raises at work.
I turned 25.
...and most importantly...
I reconnected with my family.

Along with that, we often think of a "new years resolution," a goal, for the upcoming year.  For many people the first resolution is to lose weight.  Others might want to quit smoking, give up caffeine, stop drinking, limit your Facebook usage, look for a better job,  pay off your debt, or even just to save money.

If these goals are so important that you feel a need to make a whole new years resolution out of them, why are you waiting for the new year?  If you want to lose weight, don't wait another 3 days.  Go to the gym TODAY.  Go for a walk TODAY.  If you want to quit smoking, throw away the rest of the pack in your purse RIGHT NOW.  If you want to pay off your debt, cancel your dinner plans and put that money towards your credit card balances TONIGHT.  And if you want to limit your Facebook use, save the link to my blog first so you can keep up!!

I made a new years resolution about 6 years ago to never make another new years resolution.  I'm proud to say I've been able to stick to that.  When something is important to me, I do it in the moment.  I don't want to wait for life anymore.  I want to make it happen for myself.  So that's what I'm doing :)  

I am, however, going to document every day of 2012 with a photo.  I want to try something new and/or different every day.  Whether it's a different route to work, a different hairstyle, a new food or beverage, or watching a movie I wouldn't otherwise watch.  Life is short, and I only have one shot at this.  I don't want to waste another 5 years on people or things who don't make me happy or contribute something positive to my life.  I highly recommend the same for everyone else.  

Life is so much more worthwhile when you live it for yourself.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome point. Which is why I started going back to the gym yesterday, not this coming Monday. =)

    Can't wait to watch your blog and see all the new things you will be doing this coming year! From experience, it's pretty hard trying to commit yourself to posting a picture a day for a whole year, but it is soooo worth it! I love being able to go back to any day of 2011 and remember exactly what I was doing that day! It's pretty cool to see how far you have come too. =)

    I wish you luck!

    ReplyDelete