Monday, September 12, 2011

A Limited Right to Privacy?



I heard this topic on the radio this morning, and it reminded me of many, many conversations I've had with friends and family about the same issues.  I'm curious to know what people think of this...

Privacy.

When you're in a committed relationship, how much privacy are you entitled to?  

Some people say, "None, there should be absolutely nothing to hide, so why would you need privacy?"  Others have said, "The same amount of privacy as someone NOT in a committed relationship. Everyone has a right to privacy."  

Well here's what I think...

If you're in a new relationship, I don't think you have any right to know your bf/gf's email password, Facebook password, phone password, etc.  You're still building that trust.  If you get to a point where you can't trust your bf/gf, you shouldn't be together anyway.  There does come a point, however, where I believe you should [theoretically] be able to ask your significant other to look at their phone (or whatever) and they shouldn't hesitate to let you.  If you have nothing to hide, why would it be a problem?  

I know many couples who just periodically check each others phones, or they'll say, "I'm getting ready to delete all my texts - do you want to read any of them?"  I realize this is not for everyone, but it works for them, and I kind of like the concept.  I know that I don't have anything to hide, so if my boyfriend wanted to look through my phone, I'd let him.  If he wants to look through my emails, he'd find a bunch of forwards from family and friends, and maybe some bills.  Fun, huh?

My question is, where do you draw the line?  At what point is it acceptable to ask your significant other for this kind of access into their private lives?  Should you even have a private life when you're in that kind of relationship?  I think once you're married, there should be no question or hesitation (but there should be no reason to need to see this stuff anyway).  

It's just a sticky situation, but I'm curious to know what your take on it is... What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment