Monday, November 12, 2012

Manic Monday - Accident & All

Happy Monday!

It has been a busy day so far today.  Manic, for sure.  My weekend was pretty relaxed, since I was feeling more and more like crap as Friday drew near.  I canceled all my Friday and Saturday plans, and went straight to the gym Saturday morning to sit in the steam room and clear up my sinuses.  It felt amazing.  

Sunday, Brandon and I had free tickets to the Wiz Khalifa concert, in a suite, catered, with free parking.  Thank you to his work for getting me out of the house!  For a rap concert, it was a really great show.  Wiz puts on one helluva performance.  I was quite impressed.




Today has been amazing.  I've been SO productive at work, and have been designing invitations and party favors for our upcoming client appreciation events.  I went to lunch to do some office supply shopping, and on my way back, was rear-ended at a stop light by a large SUV.  I was just sitting at the light, literally thinking about what an awesome day I was having.  Then...BOOM!

We pulled over to the side of East Roseville Parkway, and the woman who hit me immediately started crying and apologizing.  It's funny, but I really feel like she was meant to hit me today, of all people.  She needed me.  She told me she was having a horrible morning, and she had been crying all day.  I told her I had just been thinking the opposite when she hit me.  She then proceeded to tell me about her pending divorce after 6 children and 30 years of marriage.  I couldn't do anything but give her a hug and tell her my story in a nutshell.

Married and divorced before age 25.
Best thing that ever happened to me.
Now I have the most amazing man in my life.
Never, ever been happier.
Wouldn't have done anything differently.
She'll be so much happier when it's all over.

She cried on my shoulder, and there was nothing I could do but hold her.  She called me "her Angel."  I hardly saw it that way, but I do think she needed me today.  People going through a divorce can't see what's waiting at the end.  It's often too painful to see the "light at the end of the tunnel."  But it's there.  And sometimes you just need someone to reassure you.  She thanked me for my kindness and for not being upset about her hitting me.  Luckily, there was almost zero damage to either one of our cars, despite the difference in size.  (Toyota Sequoia vs. Scion tC?  No contest.)  We both got very lucky today.

I don't see us being Facebook friends or anything, but it was as pleasant as it could be as a "car accident."

The two less-than-dime-sized white marks on my bumper are just a small reminder that there is always SOME good that can come out of any situation.  She gets a little piece of mind that this divorce is not the end for her, and I took great satisfaction knowing that I was able to give her that piece of mind.  She'll need a new front license plate frame, but I think she's gonna make it.  

Let this be a lesson to you all, that everyone has a story.  Everyone makes mistakes, and everyone has off-days.  Be patient.  Be open.  And be understanding of others.  You don't know what they've been through.  Maybe they need you, or maybe you need them.  Whoever "they" are...

No comments:

Post a Comment