Monday, April 29, 2013

Diary of a New Homeowner

April 29, 2013

Dear Diary (and blog readers),

I finally closed escrow and got the keys to my house last Wednesday!  That's when the work started.



Not only does the whole place need a new coat of paint, but the old owners left the garage full of their trash, and left their disgusting couches in the living room.  Those couches were covered with cat hair, smelled like pet urine, and it all cost ME $20 to take to the dump.  And before that, it cost me $230 to fix a pipe that had burst in the entry way before my appraisal.  They sure weren't going to pay for it.

I shouldn't complain much. My dad has done the majority of the work since I got the keys.  He patched the huge hole in our ceiling, and it looks brand-spankin' new.  He installed our new dishwasher, Mom patched all the holes in the walls, cut the front lawn and all foliage surrounding our walk way, cleaned out the garage, and helped us load everything for the dump.  He and my mom have been a God-send during this whole process. He even got me a contractor discount on all the paint I had to order.  I would be a whole lot poorer without him.  My parents are truly the best.

Yesterday, I proudly installed the new washer and dryer with a little assistance from Brandon.  I felt so handy, and hopefully would have made my dad proud by doing it alone.  It was a big deal for me.  The new stove was also delivered and installed, which makes the kitchen look phenomenally better and cleaner.  The old stove was embarrassing to look at, and now that it's gone, everyone is welcome to come see the new place. I could have never fed my family out of that thing. It was disgustingly dirty.

Now that all the appliances are in place, the holes are patched, the garbage is gone, and the cleaning company has come and gone, we can finally prep and paint this week.  If we hustle as we plan to, all the painting will be done by Friday night and we can move in on Sunday. The U-haul is reserved, Public Storage has been given 30-day notice, and we'll be in the new house by this time next week, just in time for Brandon's birthday.  Moving and unpacking isn't exactly what I had in mind for his birthday this year, but we'll make it a fun and exciting day anyway.

We have 2 new cars, a new house, and a new life living together...alone...coming up very soon.  It's all so exciting that I could just pee.  Lots of pictures will be posted as we get moved, unpacked and settled in.  I can't wait...


Until my next entry...
xoxo
Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment