Saturday, May 25, 2013

How do you know when you've found "The One?"

I've been asked on more than one occasion, "So, do you think Brandon is The One?"  

My response the last time I was asked: "How do you ever really know? How can you ever be sure?"

It's been a few months since I've been asked, but if someone asked me today, the answer would be:

"Without a doubt, YES."

So, how do you know?

There comes a point in every relationship where you just...know.  Whether you want to admit to yourself that that point has come is up to you, but it is always there.  For my previous relationship, I knew early on that it was never going to work.  I went along with everything and stayed with him because I was young, dumb, and comfortable with our life and income.  I didn't want to start over.  But I don't think I was happy at all, the entire time.  

I'd been waiting for the aforementioned "sign" with Brandon. I've though for a long time that he's perfect for me, we're amazing together, and I tell him that.  But there's always one pivotal moment in a relationship where you're certain that you're either all-in, committed to your spouse in that 'til-death-do-you-part kind of way...or you're not.  

That moment for me, was his dad's heart attack this week.

My thought process was simple:
Stop. 
Your family needs you.
Go.
Now.

Simple as that.  Brandon is my family. His mom, his dad, and him. They're part of my life and a part of me.  My parents took Brandon into our family with no questions, no concerns.  He makes me happy, and they love him for that.  They've gotten to know him, and they appreciate who he is as a human being. I like to think Brandon's parents think the same of me, as a part of their family as well.  It was obvious after Reggie's heart attack. I was there with them for whatever they needed.  A ride to the hospital, to pick up dinner, adjust pillows, crack a joke, whatever.  Because that's what your family is for.  We're all family now.

Brandon and I have built a life together..a home.  We talk, we laugh (a lot), we dance, we kiss, and we love each other.  He tells me he's past his return date so I'm stuck with him now. I don't look at it as being stuck, of course. I can't imagine life with anyone else.  And I don't want to.  Whether or not we ever get married or have kids doesn't matter. As long as he's in my life, I'll be happy.

He's "it" for me. 
He's The One.

And that's how you know.  When you'd stop your life to help them, to make sure they're okay, to make sure they're happy.  When you can't imagine your life without them in it.





xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment