Thursday, January 3, 2013

Diet vs. Lifestyle Change

Gooooooood morning!

It is day 3 of 2013 (duh) and I am going strong on my favorite New Year's Resolution (NYR): to wear more color.

Today I am wearing black leggings (which I'm not entirely sure are appropriate for my office, but no one has said anything yet), caramel boots, a white cami, and a navy blue silk top that has a purple, yellow and white floral pattern.  It's not obvious in the picture, but that's because I had to doctor the pic to make my face look decent.  It was early and I was tired.  Cut me some slack.  Photoshop is my friend.

I've noticed that many of you made NYR's to work out more, lose weight, reach a "goal weight," etc.  I wanted to share a couple pieces of information that have helped me in the past.  Now, I'm not super skinny.  I have curves, and a little bit of meat still.  My weight has fluctuated a LOT over the years.  And something that has always stuck with me, is this:

Don't diet.  Change your lifestyle.

That was the best advice I've gotten in a long time.  When you think about it, a diet is temporary.  It's meant to be done for a short period of time, and then you go back to your normal ways/old habits.  And that's why you probably have had trouble with your previous weight loss attempts too, right?  


Instead, try to look at it as a change of lifestyle.  Make smaller, less drastic changes that you know you can stick with for a long period of time.  Cut back on your sugar intake.  Increase the amount of fruit and vegetables you eat for lunch and dinner.  Start eating breakfast.  Cut back your fast food to twice a month.  Small changes, but they're much more attainable than, "I want to lose 20 lbs by June."  

Also, setting goals like that are just setting yourself up for failure.  The number on the scale is not important.  I encourage you to not weigh yourself, but instead, measure your inches lost.  Two people can weigh the same amount, but one can be 2 pant sizes smaller by having more muscle and less body fat.  

And please...if you're going to count calories, make sure you're not starving yourself.  A woman of my age, height and body style should be eating roughly 1,500-2,000 calories a day to maintain my weight, with moderate exercise.  You can eat a LOT of food to achieve that amount of calories.  It's all about eating the right foods.

Of course, this is all stuff you already know.  I'm telling you because 1) I'm avoiding my work entirely today, 2) I need a reminder for myself now and then, and 3) why not share what I know with my friends and family?  Or whoever else decides to read this.

I hope you found at least one piece of useful knowledge in here.  If not, google it.

<3 <3


No comments:

Post a Comment