Monday, February 25, 2013

Memories and Birthdays

I miss my grandpa every day.  It's been 16 years, to the day, since he decided to leave us.  And yes, I do believe that he decided it was his time to go.  

He was supposed to schedule his heart surgery that day.  He had been putting it off, and telling my mom and uncle that he didn't want/need it.  He finally agreed.  But he went to sleep that night and never woke up.  In my heart, I believe that was his way of telling us he wouldn't have made it through the surgery anyway.  I was so young when he passed, but if I remember correctly, he had already had a heart attack (or two).  

I can still vividly remember the last time I saw him.  He was standing in the door way of Grandma Lee's house, waving goodbye.  He had just given me my Grandma's vintage sewing machine.  And of course, I still have it.  It doesn't work anymore, but I have it.  

I just miss him.  I wanted to buy his old house last year, but the area is so bad now that it just wasn't safe.  I have the piano that was purchased in that house, and the dining room table and china cabinet that belonged to my grandma in that house.  It would have meant a lot to be able to put them "back where they belong," but safety was an issue.  There were bullet holes in the windows.  The same neighbor next door and across the street still live there.  They seem to be doing fine, but my mom and Brandon talked me out of it.  

My grandpa probably wouldn't have wanted me to live there anyway.

But enough sadness, today is also Jenn Hughes' birthday.  Happy 5th Anniversary of your 21st birthday, my darling!  I cannot wait to celebrate with some cocktails and conversation!!

Happy Monday, folks <3

No comments:

Post a Comment